Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Suggestion] Improving Language in Forum
I hope you'll take some time to read this. It's pretty long... :\

Being a member of SGT, I have learnt many things and interesting facts from other users (Which is good! Smile). However, when I am looking for some of the threads in the forums, I noticed that some of the thread subject is wrong in terms of 'sentence construction' and/or grammar. On some pages of this website, the grammar is wrong.

What I hope is that the moderators correct the thread titles, if possible, so that it looks neat and professional. Correcting the grammar errors on some pages would also make it look neat. Also, we should not use this website/forum simply for discussion of things related to public transport. We should also utilize this page to teach other users about proper usage of grammar.

I don't mean giving WP or moderator notices when I use the word 'teach'. What I meant was that if other SGT users browse for threads and see the name being grammatically correct, they can at least learn something from it.
For example, correcting this thread name 'Phones your using' into 'Phones you're using' would let users know the difference between your and you're.

Also, I don't mean correcting what people post in threads (Don't overdo it, it'll demoralize the user). My main 'target' would be the thread names and some errors in the page first.

I know that my suggestion would never be perfect so I would like to hear from you guys to see whether there's room for improvement. Smile

P.S. To clear the air, I am not trying to be a Grammar Nazi here. Neither am I thinking that I excel in English. I do make mistakes in my spelling, grammar and even sentence construction sometimes. However, I am willing to learn from my mistakes.
[-] The following 7 users Like habiTAT's post:
  • Apalis56, C651 Lover, C830/C751B/C951 Fan, HigKang, joeyfjj, SBS6057Z, T. Concerto
This is the reason I added rule 2.3 when I was still part of the forum team:

Quote:2.3 - Please contribute in good English - punctuate and paragraph long posts, and do nt txtspeak lik dis. Minor errors are okay, but do make an effort to allow everyone to understand each other.

Instead of contacting and relying on the moderators and admins, I also suggest replying in the thread, or private messaging the user, asking and advising them on editing their titles/posts themselves.

Instead of sitting back and waiting, why not do something? Smile
Joey Foo
The web design/development guy.
"Have you tried the '404' page on SGTrains.com?"
joeyfoo.com @joeyfjj 

Useful links: Download openBVE / C751A
[-] The following 2 users Like joeyfjj's post:
  • C830/C751B/C951 Fan, habiTAT
Generally speaking, some users on this forum may have quality posts, but they lack the proficiency in English to articulate their thoughts and opinions. Generally, what I feel is that if the post itself is at least comprehensible, then we shouldn't really enforce rule 2.3 for that. Rule 2.3 is for those who don't bother to make their posts in the very least, comprehensible and easily understood. SPG problems in posts isn't a very big issue, when compared to some other posts, which have some really major problems in articulation, to the point where it virtually becomes incomprehensible.
-SMB157S

BEEP. THIS IS MAGNEMITE, YOUR LOCAL FORUM OVERLORD. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH RULES MAY RESULT IN A BAN FROM THE FORUMS. BEEP.

★chinese new year: im a magnemite

★EREEN: ****

★EREEN: pokemon control pokemon

★chinese new year: i have magnet pull

★chinese new year: these klefkis are my slaves
I know that some users who wished to contribute but due to this problem. Example like me, my English is not very good. But i tried my best to contribute in the forum. But i doubts whether you all understand what i/him saying about is an issue.
[quote='joeyfjj' pid='113264' dateline='1371312513']
This is the reason I added rule 2.3 when I was still part of the forum team:

2.3 - Please contribute in good English - punctuate and paragraph long posts, and do nt txtspeak lik dis. Minor errors are okay, but do make an effort to allow everyone to understand each other.

Instead of contacting and relying on the moderators and admins, I also suggest replying in the thread, or private messaging the user, asking and advising them on editing their titles/posts themselves.

Instead of sitting back and waiting, why not do something? Smile
[/quote]

We can't change the thread names, can we? I always had the thought that moderators and admins are the only ones who can edit the thread names.

We should start correcting the thread names first instead of targeting what others post. That's what I think.

P.S. I had to remove the [quote] command from the 'Rule 2.3' line, or else the bottom part of your comment would appear as mine.

[quote='littlearea' pid='113271' dateline='1371347744']
I know that some users who wished to contribute but due to this problem. Example like me, my English is not very good. But i tried my best to contribute in the forum. But i doubts whether you all understand what i/him saying about is an issue.
[/quote]

I apologise if I have offended you.
To clear any misunderstandings, I don't look down on people who does not do well in English. I wasn't very good in my English Language years back. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. For instance, you said that you might not be good in your language. However, I think that your knowledge in trains is pretty much better than mine.

Also, not being good in your English Language does not inhibit anyone from posting! As long as the message is brought out, it's fine! Smile Everyone makes mistakes once in a while.
[-] The following 3 users Like habiTAT's post:
  • A380Lover, SBS6057Z, T. Concerto
(16 June 2013, 02:27 AM)SMB139U Wrote:   Show/Hide
I want to clarify that rule 2.3 is meant to encourage people to make an effort to communicate in easily understood English, for the benefit of the reader as well as the poster.

It's not a rule that is invoked against everyone with a bad command of English - instead, it is targeted at users with good command of English, but has habits such as not paragraphing long posts, or using excessive text-speak.

(16 June 2013, 09:55 AM)littlearea Wrote:   Show/Hide
I just want to share that I easily understand everything you have posted so far. Smile
Joey Foo
The web design/development guy.
"Have you tried the '404' page on SGTrains.com?"
joeyfoo.com @joeyfjj 

Useful links: Download openBVE / C751A
[-] The following 1 user Likes joeyfjj's post:
  • habiTAT
(17 June 2013, 01:55 AM)joeyfjj Wrote:   Show/Hide

Actually, the rule did encourage me to write better in my posts, because in the normal everyday English I use, it's either broken or sounds weird. But as you guys said, I hope everyone can make an effort to write properly in their future posts.
[Image: ik2f1vr.png]
[Image: fIiJ0hY.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes C830/C751B/C951 Fan's post:
  • SBS6057Z
imo - if its understandable then it's fine. I don't have issues with any poor english but rather how much effort you put in to your posts. Of course if it's poor up to the point that no one understands then you will have to do something about it.
[Image: sognature_edited-1.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Suggestion] Lift/Elevator section of the forum A380Lover 15 11,208 25 December 2015, 11:31 PM
Last Post: joeyfjj
Exclamation [Resolved] Forum emails are not being sent joeyfjj 0 2,284 19 September 2015, 10:45 PM
  [Suggestion] Creativity Forum? T. Concerto 1 1,957 11 August 2014, 10:49 PM
Last Post: LondonUndergroundFan233
  [Bug] Forum Layout matthew5025 6 3,955 07 January 2014, 10:27 PM
Last Post: nakanoben
  [Suggestion] Updating the forum rules in the same format. Seangwong 2 1,980 24 July 2013, 08:59 PM
Last Post: SMB157S
  [Suggestion] Making newbies more aware of the forum rules and being less harsh to them. TIB1138M 15 9,204 11 October 2012, 08:36 PM
Last Post: WarGreymon X
  [Suggestion] In-Forum Award (Conduct and Behaviour) Ethan777 11 7,010 28 June 2012, 01:17 PM
  [Bug] "Forum games" gs97 2 2,379 29 February 2012, 07:32 PM
Last Post: SMB157S
  [Suggestion] Photography sub-forum in Hobbies & Interest joeyfjj 4 3,169 07 February 2012, 12:07 AM
  [Suggestion] Forum Section to Upload Announcements Ethan777 11 6,814 28 January 2012, 01:25 PM
Last Post: nganmatthias