Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Views on SMRT Multi-languange annoucements
So how the views of SMRT implement the Multi-language announcements?

For me it is best to have Multi-language announcements to reflect the Singapore multicultural diversity.
I feel that the chinese announcements is useful or Singaporean Chinese , those that are aged between 45 to the 80s . So yea . It's useful , not only for the Chinese. (:
Facebook l Youtube l Twitter

Global Moderator
Hall of Fame Updater

SBS6057Z
[-] The following 3 users Like SBS6057Z's post:
  • A380Lover, Samuel Lee, ZRchen
Useful for some tourists also...
C651 Lover | A SGTrains Member

Station Rep: NS2 Bukit Batok

SMRT only had Chinese announcements and, while it may not be multi-language yet, it's still an improvement, especially after SMRT sought public feedback.

As mentioned countless times before, SBS Transit has been doing this for years; many members of public are just nitpicking at everything SMRT does.
[-] The following 5 users Like nganmatthias's post:
  • A380Lover, C651 Lover, Samuel Lee, SgTrainLovur, SMB157S
Unfortunately, the announcements are now been removed progressively, thanks to the work of certain people who are just anti-PRC in general .______.
-SMB157S

BEEP. THIS IS MAGNEMITE, YOUR LOCAL FORUM OVERLORD. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH RULES MAY RESULT IN A BAN FROM THE FORUMS. BEEP.

★chinese new year: im a magnemite

★EREEN: ****

★EREEN: pokemon control pokemon

★chinese new year: i have magnet pull

★chinese new year: these klefkis are my slaves
[-] The following 4 users Like SMB157S's post:
  • A380Lover, C651 Lover, Ethan777, nganmatthias
Aiyo, to me, if the mandarin announcement are removed, why not replace them with only in english but same methods. (eg. *chime* Bishan Interchange. Change at this station to the circle line.)
[Image: BJ3ITIl.png]
My view: The Chinese announcement is useful for people who are not English educated (Who are primarily the old Singaporean that did not go to public school on their era.). So for those who criticize it (Including SBST' Chinese announcement in NEL) are plain pain in the @ss and being right down self-fish.

We should create barrier-free infrastructure and that does not and should not confined to wheel-chair bound / blind personnel.

For those who suggested Malay name announcement, that is mainly plain old repeat station lor (Notable exception were Toa Payoh, Ang Mo Kio, [Choa / Yio] Chu Kang, Bishan, Yishun, Boon Lay, Boon Keng for Chinese based name --> And Chinese Garden is not counted as the Chinese station name's pronunciation is not anywhere close ("Yu Hua Yuan" to be exact) to the English one since it is a "dictionary word" with translation and the only Indian based name I know of is Dhoby Ghaut and "Little India" is not included for the same reason as the "Chinese Garden" example. I believe Little India in Tamil does not read the same as how you read in English.)

Is the Malay station name for "Buona Vista" the same as the English one?

I do agree that there should have Tamil announcement for station as well, just the suspicious behavior announcement.
[-] The following 3 users Like Samuel Lee's post:
  • SMB157S, TIB1138M, TIB1219M
I would prefer 4 languages to only exist for the transfer announcements. Since the main aim is to ensure commuters do not change trains wrongly. SMRT can pull the same thing off just like Jurong East during peak hours.

Considering that new PA transfer announcements are much shorter than the old ones, I am quite confident that there will always be sufficient distance for 4 languages to play; whether departure or arrival and yet still leaving that remaining portion of quiet time whilst the train travels between stations.

If got problem with the distance, SMRT can always cut short the pause between Next Station and the transfer announcement.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ethan777's post:
  • Singtel Sticker
Looks like my suggestion has been taken... no more chinese and same method...
[Image: BJ3ITIl.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes TIB1219M's post:
  • Singtel Sticker
(08 December 2012, 12:30 AM)Ethan777 Wrote:   Show/Hide

The bilingual/multilingual announcements are mainly meant to allow those who are not proficient in English to know where they are.

Ensuring commuters do not change trains wrongly is definitely an important objective but my verdict for interchange announcements is out in the open, given that many people actually do not bother to pay attention to them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nganmatthias's post:
  • TIB1138M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SMRT Priority Seats / Reserved Seat Samuel Lee 115 17,426 15 July 2019, 04:36 PM
Last Post: saffie730
  SMRT's logo update Mark4211 10 13,479 13 February 2016, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Singtel Sticker
Smile [SMRT] 005/006 Demonstrator Interior SMB92U 32 30,679 01 February 2016, 10:45 PM
Last Post: AsHalt
  Like or Dislike? If SMRT/LTA Buys more Sifang! nakanoben 37 26,422 24 December 2015, 10:03 PM
Last Post: leonardtan
  All SMRT trainset variations? shikhargpt151A 4 2,705 16 July 2014, 01:29 AM
Last Post: SMB157S
  Poll: What time do you think that SMRT should give to their JEMP Evening Peak Hours?! kttandon 36 24,311 14 July 2013, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Singtel Sticker
  Ex-SMRT CEO Reflects On SMRT Experience! sawph 0 2,773 17 March 2012, 06:02 AM
Last Post: sawph
  SMRT cheats their train drivers of their public holidays SBS6060M 4 5,898 10 February 2012, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Gintai
  Should SMRT/LTA/SBST invest in a drama or new media to educate the public? tintinspartan 12 10,356 12 January 2012, 08:50 AM
Last Post: Tuas
Tongue Which SMRT train announcer do you like? TIB1173K 22 20,066 17 December 2011, 08:25 PM
Last Post: gs97