Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Suggestion] Improvements for the Bus & Service Reps List
This suggestion is with regards to the Bus & Service Reps thread by King Citaro which is currently locked. Although it is locked, I would still like to suggest some improvements with regards to this thread.

Firstly, King Citaro initially specified that only admins and mods are allowed to post compiled list of reps. I think it would be better if we follow the trains/ train stations rep style by allowing anyone to update the list, of course only once on every page. In this way, we can ensure the list are constantly updated as the one who post the compiled list is responsible for the updates on that particular page.

Secondly, it was mentioned that changes of reps can only be made 2 months, which sounds ridiculous as one would have totally forgotten the reps by the time the 2 months has passed. Furthermore, it will be more efficient if one is able to receive his reps immediately. No one would like to wait 1/6 of a year for their reps to be updated.

Thirdly, forum currency is used for ditching or changing reps. I dun think this is a practical move. New buses may be imported to Singapore and some of us may consider changing reps to include the newly imported buses. I am very sure that there would be many people, including admins or mods, who would want to change their reps quickly. This is not really fair to newbies IMO who just signed up for SGTrains and do not have sufficient forum currency to afford for rep change.

Hence, I would like to appeal if the Bus & Service Reps list could follow that of trains and train stations rep, and abolish the forum currency and 2-month-change reps. This may appear to be an absurd suggestion at a glance, but I'm pretty sure that NO ONE would want to wait for so long just for their reps to be reflected or have to pay forum currency just for a single rep change.

Of course, the users continue to abide to the standard rules of Reps: No more than 3 buses per operator, and no more than 3 bus services regardless of bus operators

Hope the admins/mods would carefully consider my suggestion. I am not trying to overemphasize bus reps here, but just to make a suggestion which I think is beneficial for all.

Thanks, and if I have been accidentally rude in any way I would apologize for that. Smile
[Image: 8089695019_12094d3769_z.jpg]
Arthur Jie
- President of OpenBVE Arthur Jie Rapid Transit (Non-official)
- Trainee Player learning to develop OpenBVE Trains
- SGForums Bus Enthusiast: SBS8501U and TIB1138M
- SGTrains Bus & Train Enthusiast
- Check out my videos (Real life Buses, Trains and OpenBVE) at YouTube! Smile
(21 September 2012, 08:28 PM)Arthur Jie Wrote:   Show/Hide

not a mod of bus forums, but still, some points to say

1. This was actually iirc the original version of the bus reps list. However, the thing about buses and services are that there are way, way more of these than trains (you can't really go anywhere beyond what we have now). The current system was put into place because the old one was extremely disorganised and messy.

2. It's not ridiculous. You can just search for the post in the thread itself. Plus, maintaining the forums is not the first priority in our lives, and the moderators for the buses forums may not be able to respond immediately. Besides, it's merely a matter of bus reps, something that isn't completely important to the point that it supersedes all other matters. It's a virtue to be patient, after all.

3. It is: one problem the train rep list had in the past was users changing reps extremely quickly: especially during the times when the C151As were entering revenue service. This often ends up cluttering the list and confusing people. Also, this line exists in the OP of the bus rep thread:
Quote:For First timers, you are entitled to ONE TIME complementary rep nomination.
If you are not satisfied with your reps just a few days/weeks after claiming it, then may I ask: what's the point of claiming the rep in the first place?

The current system is currently in place because of certain problems that make the old system infeasible. There is also this post dated in July:
http://forums.sgtrains.com/showthread.ph...3#pid69243
and this is probably the cause of why the list has yet to be updated. Currently though, the list is locked to be updated, so it'd at least be best to be patient for a bit while more.
-SMB157S

BEEP. THIS IS MAGNEMITE, YOUR LOCAL FORUM OVERLORD. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH RULES MAY RESULT IN A BAN FROM THE FORUMS. BEEP.

★chinese new year: im a magnemite

★EREEN: ****

★EREEN: pokemon control pokemon

★chinese new year: i have magnet pull

★chinese new year: these klefkis are my slaves
[-] The following 5 users Like SMB157S's post:
  • Apalis56, C651 Lover, ExPreSS518LoVuR™, nakanoben, TIB1138M
(22 September 2012, 01:29 AM)TM16 Wrote:   Show/Hide

These are purely my own opinions, I think the most major problem which accounts for the failure of the old system is because of:
Quote:There is no limit for sharing the reps.
You may choose as many reps as you want.
Otherwise, there is no way how someone can claim over 10 reps, making things very confusing.

Well, this is just my thoughts and there is no intention of flaming people
Arthur Jie
Regarding the old system..
Yes. We do have limit for the bus reps . 3 Bus rep and x number of Services. I believe that the forum currency is quite reasonable as some people really change their reps too fast, at times claiming a rep for 3 days and ditching it for a newer rep with NOTHING new. Just want a new bus/train as rep. This is one of the reason why it was implemented to the bus rep list ( i guess )
Facebook l Youtube l Twitter

Global Moderator
Hall of Fame Updater

SBS6057Z
[-] The following 2 users Like SBS6057Z's post:
  • ExPreSS518LoVuR™, TIB1138M
(22 September 2012, 10:57 AM)SBS6057Z Wrote:   Show/Hide

Oh no, I am referring to the first former thread which is closed down by King Citaro. That was when there is no limits which allowed people to claimed up to 20-30 reps.

Btw, I would like to ask why this particular rule was implemented. I am not really sure though I think it is better if we are allowed to help to update, or is there any particular reason which makes this move unfeasible?
King Citaro Wrote: Show/Hide

Thanks!
Arthur Jie
Maybe because of the use of forum currency and thus , admin/moderators updating the thread would be better? I'm not too sure.
Facebook l Youtube l Twitter

Global Moderator
Hall of Fame Updater

SBS6057Z
Unless my memory fails me, I remember there is a user who I will not name which, at one point, changed his so-called reps every few days. The buses he chose were random and not of any particular value (i.e. not new buses or redeployed).

In fact, we are even wondering if there is a need for a bus/train rep list. Why shouldn't we allow each user to have his own if they like, and allow conflicts? S/he can just include a list of reps in his/her signature, if they wish to do so.

The forum team is currently debating this, and we may (or may not) be removing rep lists altogether.
Joey Foo
The web design/development guy.
"Have you tried the '404' page on SGTrains.com?"
joeyfoo.com @joeyfjj 

Useful links: Download openBVE / C751A
[-] The following 4 users Like joeyfjj's post:
  • nakanoben, SBS6057Z, SMB157S, TIB1138M
To user Arthur Jie:

Do allow me to respond directly to your opinions / suggestions.

1) Should the main users in the forum be able to moderate the list on the forum, there could be a possibility that certain user's requests may not be seen to at time of moderation.

2) Reps are for one to own, treasure and respect. I completely refute your stand in saying that "one would have totally forgotten the reps by the time the 2 months has passed". If you can't even remember what you register as your rep, then it shows that you do not have basic respect for it, and thus you should not nominated it in the first place.

3a) On the claim of nomination of newer buses frequently, one can always do so at any time he or she pleases, so long as the quota has not been exceeded. And as mentioned by Joeyfjj, newbies are given equal rights for their first nomination, where it is completely free of charge. A main reason for maintaining the 2 month minimum rep ownership is to prevent speculation. A quota has been set due to users hobbing more than 20 reps in the previous thread, and claiming exclusive ownership for them. We do not condone hobbing as other users also should have the right to adopt their preferred units.

3b) The charge previously set for rep exchange was in place to prevent unnecessary changes to the reps, to upkeep discipline in rep adoption. The charges are currently under review.

4) The forum is managed by individuals who are also involved in their own life's activities, be it schooling or work. The moderation of the forum is done during their free time. While we sincerely appreciate the support of users of the forum, we would appreciate the consideration exercised by users in understanding that time of all moderators are as precious as your own.

Thank You.
Dated 22/9/2012
Yours Sincerely,
King Citaro

095/096 | SBS625Z | SBS825M | SMB28G | SMB136C | SMB316A

"Courage is the force that makes our lives brilliant" (Daisaku Ikeda, Philosopher, Japan)
[-] The following 6 users Like King Citaro's post:
  • Mark4211, nakanoben, SBS7655R, SMB157S, TIB1138M, TIB987K

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Suggestion] Suggestion for the Bus & Services Reps thread SMB323D 2 2,404 05 May 2014, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Dragruler Phantom
  Illegal To Ask for Dropbox-kind Service Referrals? C830/C751B/C951 Fan 7 5,404 21 May 2013, 04:32 PM
Last Post: WarGreymon X
  Suggestion to Change the Ignore list into a Block List Spartan117ism 3 2,642 30 January 2013, 10:51 PM
Last Post: nakanoben
  [Suggestion] Train service updates on the main site SBS7322B 3 2,639 29 June 2012, 08:44 AM
  [Suggestion] Move "Claim Your Train Reps Here" thread to "Welcome" section luacs1998 4 4,256 20 November 2011, 10:03 PM
  Buddy List Samuel Lee 1 2,313 11 March 2011, 09:19 PM