Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[Others] Voices/Forum Replies On Train Articles
SMRT should use rental and ad profits, not increase fare
By Jimmy Ho Kwok Hoong
04:46 AM Aug 16, 2012

I write this letter in response to the Fare Review Mechanism Committee's public consultation for its review.

Despite SMRT Corporation's substantial profits every year from its non-transport sector involving rental and advertising, it has cited high operating costs as the reason each time for raising fares.

But company profits, as a whole, have increased from S$56.8 million in 2002 to S$161.1 million last year.

[Full Article]
Benjamin Goh 
Forum Administrator (ORD LOH!)
SGTrains.com
Youtube | Foursquare 
Anime | Aviation | Bus | Train | Photography

今日も JR西日本をご利用くださいましてありがとうございます。この電車は環状線内回り、大阪、西九条、弁天町方面行きです。次は、桜ノ宮に泊まります。お客様にお願い致します、有線座席ではお年寄りや体の不自由なお客様、妊娠中や乳幼児をお連れのお客様がいらっしゃいましたら席をお譲り下さい。ご協力をお願いします。
(04 October 2012, 09:46 AM)SBS6019J Wrote:   Show/Hide

I was onboard C830 802 this afternoon from Bishan to Dhoby Ghaut. Two officers boarded the train at Bartley and manually operated the train until it reaches Promenade. During and after manual operation, the speed of the train slowed down, travelling at a slow speed until it reaches Dhoby Ghaut.
[Image: 8089695019_12094d3769_z.jpg]
Arthur Jie
- President of OpenBVE Arthur Jie Rapid Transit (Non-official)
- Trainee Player learning to develop OpenBVE Trains
- SGForums Bus Enthusiast: SBS8501U and TIB1138M
- SGTrains Bus & Train Enthusiast
- Check out my videos (Real life Buses, Trains and OpenBVE) at YouTube! Smile
SMRT should hire a local spokesman.
Date: 17th October 2012
From Thomas Lee Chee Chee

It was reported recently that an Australian from Temasek Holdings may become SMRT Corporation's new spokesman. If this is true, SMRT should reconsider.

It is alright if a foreigner with international experience is a spokesman for a local corporation dealing in international trade, such as Singapore Airlines, Keppel Corporation and DBS Bank.

However, SMRT needs someone who understands our culture and who speaks our lingo. Similarly, I do not see how a Singaporean could be an effective spokesperson for British supermarket Waitrose or Chinese beverage maker Wahaha.

[Full Article]
C651 Lover | A SGTrains Member

Station Rep: NS2 Bukit Batok

Take pointers from Taipei Metro

By: Darryl Goh Sheng En
Date: 27/11/2012

On its Facebook page recently, xinmsn asked about suggestions on train and station features for the upcoming Downtown Line. Perhaps there are some pointers to be learnt from the Taipei Metro.

First, the stations are tourist friendly, with brochures designed for tourists in almost every station (after enquiry). I visited some places of interest that were not in my original plan.

In Singapore, there is a recent brochure of a "one-day family trip on the Circle Line", for both locals and travellers to visit places of interest around its various stations.

[Read the full article here]
MRT system, a platform for multicultural values.
Date: 3rd December 2012

I refer to the letter "Why make station name announcements in Mandarin?" (Nov 30). Commuters would have noticed the recent change in the "next station" announcements on the North-South Line, benefiting those who do not converse in English.

However, the fact is that only Mandarin has been added in this change. Two main points have been raised on social media in response to the move: On its necessity and on the values it purports.

On the first issue, many have asked about the need to translate names that are familiar to Singaporeans after decades of nationhood. SMRT adds to the confusion by giving multiple versions of station names.

[Full Article]

What's in a station name?.
A lot more than SMRT bargained for, says our intern columnist.
Date: 5th November 2012

SMRT has been in the hot seat of controversy in recent days. Between the bus drivers' strike and the announcement of MRT station names in Mandarin - but not Malay or Tamil - the transport operator has drawn a lot of flak from the public.

Saying that the transport operator was responding to what the people wanted, an SMRT spokesperson added that the Malay and Tamil languages were not included in the change because most station names, when pronounced in English, sound similar to their Malay and Tamil equivalents.

This just made people more angry, and you don't have to be among the non-Chinese minority to see the problem with SMRT's reasoning. Bukit Merah vs Redhill was a frequently cited example.

[Full Article]

(05 December 2012, 12:22 PM)C651 Lover Wrote:   Show/Hide

Nobody remembered about the bilingual announcements on NEL, which has been there since day 1 in 2003.. Confused

EDIT: oops sorry, I thought the bilingual announcements were there since day one, thanks SgTrainLovur and Ethan777 for enlightening me! Big Grin
[Image: finalsignature2.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like SBS8300H's post:
  • C651 Lover, SgTrainLovur, SMB157S
(06 December 2012, 12:46 AM)SBS8300H Wrote:   Show/Hide

Yeah.. But I think the NEL bilingual announcements started in somewhere around 2005 or 2006.
"Next stop, Dhoby Ghaut Interchange." - Mrs Melson
If people say that Redhill and Bukit Merah, they sound different, right? What if the commuters think that Redhill station is near to the bus interchange, which is not..?
The distance between stations are too short for 4 language announcements. There are also quite a handful stations that already have Malay origins for their names, Tanah Merah for example.

SBST has been doing the same thing for a long time, so SMRT being given the short end of the public's temper most likely has to be with other recent incidents (bus drivers strike, bad PR issues, etc). The chinese announcements are just there at the wrong timing. Remember that these announcements have already been through a trial.
-SMB157S

BEEP. THIS IS MAGNEMITE, YOUR LOCAL FORUM OVERLORD. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH RULES MAY RESULT IN A BAN FROM THE FORUMS. BEEP.

★chinese new year: im a magnemite

★EREEN: ****

★EREEN: pokemon control pokemon

★chinese new year: i have magnet pull

★chinese new year: these klefkis are my slaves
[-] The following 2 users Like SMB157S's post:
  • C651 Lover, Singapore commuter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News Article] SMRT train hits stationary train at Joo Koon MRT station; 25 injured A380Lover 0 8,821 15 November 2017, 12:41 PM
Last Post: A380Lover
  [News Article] MRT train refurbishment plan on hold A380Lover 0 1,641 11 August 2016, 08:28 AM
  [News Article] Khaw Boon Wan urges Singapore train operators to emulate Taipei for reliability A380Lover 2 2,935 09 June 2016, 10:46 AM
  [News Article] Train services at 13 SMRT stations to start an hour later on Sundays A380Lover 2 2,910 03 June 2016, 10:28 AM
  [Press Release] Train platform canopy structures of former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station to be fully A380Lover 0 1,438 27 May 2016, 09:58 PM
  [News Article] MRT train on North-South Line struck by lightning, affecting service between Yishun a A380Lover 1 1,792 13 May 2016, 10:05 AM
  [Press Release] Supply of New Train Cars and System Upgrade for Changi Airport Skytrain SBS7322B 2 1,981 03 May 2016, 08:53 AM
  [News Article] Train disruption on North-South Line for almost an hour early Thursday morning A380Lover 0 1,605 21 April 2016, 08:22 AM
  [News Article] Parliament: Khaw Boon Wan sets target of 200,000 train-km travelled between delays A380Lover 0 1,465 12 April 2016, 12:46 PM
  [News Article] Train fault on Circle Line causes delays for commuters on Friday morning A380Lover 0 1,692 08 April 2016, 08:44 AM