Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[Others] Voices/Forum Replies On Train Articles
Officers needed on trains and buses.

Quote:
It is about time that SMRT Corporation and SBS Transit have inspectors stationed on their trains and buses. Commuters may think twice about getting too vulgar or physical or blatantly taking up more than one seat.

These officers would also be able to take action against commuters who eat or drink on the trains or buses. On the whole, their presence would remind commuters that they ought to behave themselves when they take public transport or risk paying a fine.

Link: http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120...-and-buses
C651 Lover | A SGTrains Member

Station Rep: NS2 Bukit Batok

Has our society come to a point when we have to rely on others to ensure our OWN behaviour?

Pathetic.
[Image: sognature_edited-1.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like Rudolph's post:
  • , C651 Lover, elm0o
Most boring job ever.
Alternative Transportation Department
Moderator of Singapore Urban Trains & Buses Forums

SBS6060M

Reps - 325/326, 513/514, 059/060, TIB868X, SMB84T, SBS6060M, SBS8062U
[-] The following 1 user Likes SBS6060M's post:
  • SBS6057Z
Who wants the job anyway...

its just an opinion voiced by somebody

obviously it'd be flawed...
-SMB157S

BEEP. THIS IS MAGNEMITE, YOUR LOCAL FORUM OVERLORD. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH RULES MAY RESULT IN A BAN FROM THE FORUMS. BEEP.

★chinese new year: im a magnemite

★EREEN: ****

★EREEN: pokemon control pokemon

★chinese new year: i have magnet pull

★chinese new year: these klefkis are my slaves
How are we going to enjoy our train outings snapping adverts and faults with these people patrolling the trains all the time? Exclamation

On buses, it would be a disruption of privacy with these people probably walking up and down the bus checking on everyone when passengers want to be left alone with peace and quiet.
[-] The following 3 users Like Ethan777's post:
  • C651 Lover, ExPreSS518LoVuR™, Singapore commuter
(06 July 2012, 06:26 PM)Ethan777 Wrote:   Show/Hide

You have to understand that the untimate goal of public trnasport is to move people, not provide you with entertainment.

Agreed, but there are some really inconsiderate commuters around. There are moments when I get an impulse to start shouting down the length of a bus, for people to move back!
Joey Foo
The web design/development guy.
"Have you tried the '404' page on SGTrains.com?"
joeyfoo.com @joeyfjj 

Useful links: Download openBVE / C751A
[-] The following 3 users Like joeyfjj's post:
  • C651 Lover, nakanoben, SMB157S

Notably this is still an opinion voiced by a general member of the public. It's not going to happen unless SMRT actually implements said suggestion.

Also honestly if ppl actually take the job they probably would just walk up and down and don't exactly care, this job is like giving away free money, all you need to do is to just walk up and down and you get free money for doing it. (in fact some ppl might jump at this opportunity simply for the large amount of stomping opportunities it may provide)

Anyway, if you haven't broken the rules by eating/drinking on the train or the like, you don't really have anything to fear.
-SMB157S

BEEP. THIS IS MAGNEMITE, YOUR LOCAL FORUM OVERLORD. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH RULES MAY RESULT IN A BAN FROM THE FORUMS. BEEP.

★chinese new year: im a magnemite

★EREEN: ****

★EREEN: pokemon control pokemon

★chinese new year: i have magnet pull

★chinese new year: these klefkis are my slaves
[-] The following 3 users Like SMB157S's post:
  • C651 Lover, nakanoben, SBS6060M
Be strict about safety.
From Leo Siang Choong Updated 11:35 PM Jul 20, 2012

I refer to the report "Work on Downtown Line 'to resume on two conditions'" (July 20).

It stated that a professional engineer has to endorse a recovery plan for the safe removal of the collapsed structure and materials, and a revised Risk Assessments and Safe Work Procedures has to be submitted.

However, how certain is it that what is in the documents will be implemented?

The authorities are investigating the accident, but can they be on the ground throughout the construction period to ensure everything goes well?

Construction sites are especially prone to accidents, and the Manpower Ministry has continuously implemented legislation and standards.

But how many employers truly understand the importance of safety, and do workplaces have enough professional, quality personnel to look into safety aspects? Or do they just want to satisfy the minimum requirement?

As for safety training, is the quality good enough for both local and foreign workers to understand what was taught, the implications of the legislation, and to increase their safety awareness? Or is there a need to review safety standards and training?

I hope the authorities could look into these issues, to raise long-term safety standards and reduce workplace fatality rates.

Link: http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120...out-safety

Quote:
Push, shove, elbow on the MRT
From Cordelia Melanie Alfred Updated 07:18 PM Jul 26, 2012

At Bukit Batok MRT station, a man in his 50s is waiting to tap his card and pass through the wider gantry, made for people in wheelchairs or children in prams. On the other side, a long queue of people are tapping their cards and merrily exiting the station.

This man waits patiently. With him is an elderly woman who looks to be in her 80s, in a wheelchair. I glance at the control station. The staff inside have noticed the scene but do not feel the need to intervene and divert the queue to other gantries.

I could not fathom how people could be oblivious to the needs of others, how they could so easily put their needs above all else.

This scene, and many others I have experienced while taking public transport, was to me, the epitome of Singaporeans' world view and self perception.

We stand before the train doors, bracing ourselves to rush in as soon as they open, inevitably pushing past passengers who are trying to alight.

After rushing in and scoring that coveted seat, we immediately start snoozing, awaking at the precise moment the doors open at our destination.

The trains jerk every so often, but the nappers keep on slumbering, lest they open their eyes and see a heavily pregnant woman trying to keep her balance, or a young man on crutches.

The way we behave on trains and buses speaks volumes about the manner in which we function in society. There is a false sense of entitlement and a constant reminder that we need to fight for what we want, what we feel we deserve.

We do not trust anybody else to have our best interests at heart. And for good reason, too. We push, shove and elbow to get what we want, with little regard that when we do, someone else gets the shorter end of the stick.

My objective, rather than to condemn, is to identify and accept that kindness has gotten lost in the midst of progression and growth. I am one of you, and I believe that we are better than this.

Travelling need not be akin to preparing our battle armour as soon as we step into the train station.

I pen these thoughts in the hopes that tomorrow, you let someone cut the queue in front of you, or wait for an old man hobbling out of the train, trying to read the signs at the same time.

You do not need that seat; that lady with a baby and toddler in hand does. A smile of gratitude is the best way to start your day. If it does not come, so what? You helped someone, whether it is acknowledged or not.

Link: http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120...on-the-MRT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News Article] SMRT train hits stationary train at Joo Koon MRT station; 25 injured A380Lover 0 8,822 15 November 2017, 12:41 PM
Last Post: A380Lover
  [News Article] MRT train refurbishment plan on hold A380Lover 0 1,641 11 August 2016, 08:28 AM
  [News Article] Khaw Boon Wan urges Singapore train operators to emulate Taipei for reliability A380Lover 2 2,935 09 June 2016, 10:46 AM
  [News Article] Train services at 13 SMRT stations to start an hour later on Sundays A380Lover 2 2,910 03 June 2016, 10:28 AM
  [Press Release] Train platform canopy structures of former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station to be fully A380Lover 0 1,438 27 May 2016, 09:58 PM
  [News Article] MRT train on North-South Line struck by lightning, affecting service between Yishun a A380Lover 1 1,792 13 May 2016, 10:05 AM
  [Press Release] Supply of New Train Cars and System Upgrade for Changi Airport Skytrain SBS7322B 2 1,981 03 May 2016, 08:53 AM
  [News Article] Train disruption on North-South Line for almost an hour early Thursday morning A380Lover 0 1,605 21 April 2016, 08:22 AM
  [News Article] Parliament: Khaw Boon Wan sets target of 200,000 train-km travelled between delays A380Lover 0 1,465 12 April 2016, 12:46 PM
  [News Article] Train fault on Circle Line causes delays for commuters on Friday morning A380Lover 0 1,692 08 April 2016, 08:44 AM