SGTrains Forums
[News Article] Editor-in-chief apologises to SMRT over Stomp picture - Printable Version

+- SGTrains Forums (http://forums.sgtrains.com)
+-- Forum: Singapore Urban Trains (http://forums.sgtrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Trains Press Releases Discussion (http://forums.sgtrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: [News Article] Editor-in-chief apologises to SMRT over Stomp picture (/showthread.php?tid=1778)

Pages: 1 2 3

Editor-in-chief apologises to SMRT over Stomp picture - nakanoben - 25 June 2012

Editor-in-chief apologises to SMRT over Stomp picture

Published on Jun 25, 2012

By AMELIA TAN
The photograph that a content producer of citizen journalism website Stomp posted online, supposedly of an MRT train running with one set of its doors open, has been found to be false.

On discovering this, Mr Patrick Daniel, editor-in-chief of Singapore Press Holdings' English and Malay Newspapers Division, sent a letter on Sunday to Mr Tan Ek Kia, the interim chief executive of rail operator SMRT, apologising for the incident.

The content producer, Ms Samantha Francis, was also sacked by SPH, which owns Stomp, on the same day.

The 23-year-old had initially claimed that she took the photograph at Lakeside MRT station last Tuesday night. But following investigations by SPH, she eventually admitted that she had taken the image from a post on social networking site Twitter. The original tweet has since been removed.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_814774.html

APOLOGY

Posted on 25 Jun 2012
Statement by STOMP Editor, Azhar Kasman

STOMP would like to apologise for the posting on June 20, supposedly showing an SMRT train that left Lakeside station with one set of doors open. The report, submitted by a STOMP content producer, has been found to be fabricated.

The content producer, Ms Samantha Ann Francis, had submitted the photo to STOMP, claiming that she had taken it when she was at Lakeside MRT Station at 10.15pm on June 19.

Following investigations by our staff, Ms Francis has admitted that she had in fact taken the photo off a posting on Twitter. The original tweet has since been removed.

Ms Francis has been dismissed by Singapore Press Holdings, which owns Stomp.

SPH sent a letter yesterday (24/5) to SMRT's interim CEO Tan Ek Kia apologising for the incident.

Mr Patrick Daniel, editor-in-chief of Singapore Press Holdings’ English and Malay Newspapers Division, said in the letter: “My team and I would like to apologise unreservedly to SMRT for this erroneous report by one of our staff. We truly regret the damage this has caused SMRT.”

He added: “Aside from breaching our professional ethics, what Ms Francis has done goes against all the values that we stand for."

As STOMP editor, I would also like to personally apologise to SMRT and members of the public for this erroneous article in STOMP. I deeply regret that one of our staff breached professional ethics and posted a fabricated report.

I would like to assure the public and all STOMP readers that the website does not tolerate such unethical behaviour.

We will also be reviewing our operating procedures and will do everything we can to prevent such a lapse from recurring.

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/this_urban_jungle/1172152/stomp_apologises_for_erroneous_article_on_open_smrt_train_doors.html

Posted on 30 Jun 2012
STOMP editor apologises to SMRT for erroneous article

Apology from STOMP editor, Azhar Kasman

I would like to apologise to SMRT and all STOMP readers for the false STOMP posting on the alleged case of a train travelling with a set of open doors. I truly regret the trouble and inconvenience that this caused SMRT, and also for the damage to public confidence in our trains.

I want to make clear that the alleged incident did not happen, and that the report was false.

We have tightened our procedures to make sure we prevent a repeat of such an incident.

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/this_urban_jungle/1179146/stomp_editor_apologises_to_smrt_for_erroneous_article.html

RE: Editor-in-chief apologises to SMRT over Stomp picture - SMB157S - 25 June 2012

Fake, as expected. ._. Really nth better to do

RE: Editor-in-chief apologises to SMRT over Stomp picture - SBS7322B - 25 June 2012

It's about time they did some review on STOMP.

RE: Editor-in-chief apologises to SMRT over Stomp picture - SBS6060M - 25 June 2012

I hope actions will be taken against her.

RE: Editor-in-chief apologises to SMRT over Stomp picture - nakanoben - 25 June 2012

It is only appropriate that SMRT takes action against her as SMRT's reputation was at sake

RE: Editor-in-chief apologises to SMRT over Stomp picture - luacs1998 - 25 June 2012

It's about time they shut down STOMP. Yeah, citizen journalism is good, but sadly, the system has been over-misused. If their staff are like that, what makes their content any better?

And yeah, IMO SMRT should sue STOMP, and SPH by extension.

RE: Editor-in-chief apologises to SMRT over Stomp picture - nakanoben - 25 June 2012

(25 June 2012, 05:31 PM)luacs1998 Wrote:   Show/Hide

I don't see a need for such a harsh action like shutting down STOMP .__.

RE: Editor-in-chief apologises to SMRT over Stomp picture - luacs1998 - 25 June 2012

(25 June 2012, 05:39 PM)SBS6019J Wrote:   Show/Hide

Have you seen the state of the place?

RE: Editor-in-chief apologises to SMRT over Stomp picture - SMB157S - 25 June 2012

(25 June 2012, 06:22 PM)luacs1998 Wrote:   Show/Hide

lol its the ppl that are posting nonsense and the mods who are actually letting them in

just change the moderators/editors of stomp posts and articles and naturally the amount of idiots stomping will decrease and stomp won't be as notorious as it is now

not serious yet to warrant full closure imo

(25 June 2012, 06:22 PM)luacs1998 Wrote:   Show/Hide

What makes you think i have not?

Besides, STOMP is a good source of information too.
Shutting down STOMP would be too harsh (Simply because of a SMRT Matter) and it would have a negative impact on SMRT if STOMP were to shut down just like that.